Design Philosophy

Design should be used as a tool to better serve environmental surroundings. To create something with both aesthetic appeal and ease of use. The world and how I see it is all the inspiration I need. While in a new environment I find myself analyzing my surroundings finding and criticizing what could be changed about the space and what works. I hope to be apart of a successful design firm and eventually open my own practice some day.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Westlake Construction Site | Seattle, WA

(Photos from left to right: Left & Middle photo- views from the roof of the building, Right- view of one of the studio apartments under construction) 

The Westlake residence is located in Westlake, Seattle. The first half of the construction site will house the business by the name of, “MadArt”. MadArt’s mission is to support emerging artists in the Seattle community, to bring art into the lives of those in the community in unexpected ways and to create community involvement in the arts. The other half of the building is for residences and studio apartments. The philosophy of the building having half residential and half business, made me realize how to maximize a space to its full capacity. The layout of the residential spaces is beautiful and they made me think of spatial planning differently. All spaces apart from the top floor penthouse apartment are studios. These studio apartments have one level with a kitchen and recreational space and they have stairs leading up to the bedroom space. All of the residencies made me rethink the use of natural lighting and the sizing of windows. Each space has floor to ceiling windows for natural lighting. This made me think of how interaction with humans and their needs to be with nature and the outside is important. This really made me rethink the idea of what a studio apartment means to me and how vast the opportunities for natural lighting in a residential space are.

No comments:

Post a Comment