Design Philosophy

Design should be used as a tool to better serve environmental surroundings. To create something with both aesthetic appeal and ease of use. The world and how I see it is all the inspiration I need. While in a new environment I find myself analyzing my surroundings finding and criticizing what could be changed about the space and what works. I hope to be apart of a successful design firm and eventually open my own practice some day.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Sketch Crawl | Seattle Center

After being let loose in the Seattle Center with free range of field sketching, I decided to pick the most cliché building to draw—the Space Needle. At first I tried to build my drawing from the top of the structure, which I quickly learned to be a bad idea. After that lesson I started from the ground up and I started to piece the building together in sections, by drawing the contour of the lines that make up the space needle rather than a failed attempt at trying to draw the whole thing at once rather than viewing it in pieces. I would say that defining the components that make up the Space Needle and building my drawing in a progressive manner was strength of mine during this sketch. I spent the whole time on it and am actually pleased with the final product, however the top “saucer” part of the tower is a bit lopsided- but I just took it how it turned out because not every sketch can be perfect, but I can be conscious of the issue next time to try to get the contour of the line more accurate to the actual shape of the slope. I learned that I need to approach seeing the object that I am drawing as an object, not a whole definable object, but an object with many layers that can be gradually built off of rather than all piled on at the same time.

 Above is the Space Needle and the right photo is my sketch that I did while at the Seattle Center. The photo to the left is a different view but the same structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment