Design Philosophy

Design should be used as a tool to better serve environmental surroundings. To create something with both aesthetic appeal and ease of use. The world and how I see it is all the inspiration I need. While in a new environment I find myself analyzing my surroundings finding and criticizing what could be changed about the space and what works. I hope to be apart of a successful design firm and eventually open my own practice some day.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

St. Ignatius Chapel | Seattle University





                      The photos displayed above are the interior of St. Ignatius chapel


My Field sketches of the interior and exterior of the building
Alternative to stain-
glass windows on
interior
The daylight defines the spaces interiors. Without it, the chapel is a chapel with interesting interior wall structure that is completely barren and white on the inside. With daylight though the St. Ignatius chapel develops color accents of blues and greens—livening the place up. The light being strong during my visit helped me appreciate the space to its full potential. I got to experience the chapel for its defining and unique feature. Although the walls were plain and white the space had personalized texturing added to give it character. Other textual qualities of the chapel were the differentiation of the ceiling heights. There was a high variation of heights that created the natural flow of the space, playing with how the natural lighting came in as well as setting the atmosphere. The important aspects of human interaction with this space, being in a chapel is really channeling in on the religious experience. When you think of chapels you think of stain glass windows with murals and high ceilings and rows of seating leading up to a platform. The St. Ignatius Chapel redefines that experience, with modern art interpretations of old stories made into frosted glass window panes, high ceilings with different variations of elevation and so forth. The movement throughout the space is very unique and puts a unique and modern twist on the religious experience with respect to the traditional value to the space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment